Tuesday, August 7, 2012

8-7-2012 rainfall

What's occuring in Manila as of this moment is heartbreaking. News is filled of videos and pictures of victims struggling to swim through the floods, babies crying, people on top of their roofs, evacuation centers full and a whole lot more of devastating news.

I was a victim myself of such tragedy, the ever famous Typhoon Sendong who took away the lives of so many, thousands I believe. I would know the feeling, the brown water eating up my house and even took away my dog's life. It was traumatic and tragic all at the same time. I wouldn't want anyone to experience that. And just barely 8 months after, here we are again facing a new feat that is taking away the homes of so many. On the brighter side, this all happened at day time, as per Sendong which was titled "The Night Eater" as it struck people while in their sleep, at least this time people were more alert since they were up and awake.



While I was on our rooftop that night, I couldn't do anything, helpless amd powerless as I was, the only thing I could do was pray, since it was too dark and I honestly wasn't expecting any rescue team to come and fetch us. The morning after was the worst part to handle, seeing our house wrecked, our stuff damaged and on the sidewalks were bodies of dead victims. I touched myself and I immediately thanked the Lord I was not one of those victims who were lifelessly put there on the streets, somehow I still saw the blessing that my Mom and I were and still are alive and breathing.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help being sentimental about what happened to us back then. Seeing these pictures really really breaks my heart. Empathy simply breathes out from me since I could really feel what this has done to me.

                                            (photos courtesy of various Facebook accounts)

What they're doing is really dangerous, rain and live wires are not a good combination but I think it's also dangerous to swim through the flood. It's really looking bad.

The dark gloomy sky earlier this afternoon.


Statistics in comparison to Typhoon Ondoy versus today's rainfall. It's not even a typhoon and it looks really bad as it is.

 Various organizations are now accepting donations. These were found on my timeline. Yes, thank God for social networking sites. Been a great help in information dissemination. Contact these numbers and inquire on how you can help.



I think we can also send our relief goods through ABSCBN and/or GMA Stations since they have better access on where to deliver it to.

Copied this via Philippine Red Cross website: 

Ways to Donate

 
Through PayPal
Through Ushare - Credit Card, Online Banking, Megalink

Through GreenPeso - PayPal, Bancnet, GCash

Through Multiply

Through PayDollar




Cash or Check Donations


Please send cash or check donations to the PRC National Headquarters in Manila. Checks should be made payable to The Philippine Red Cross. We can also arrange for donation pick-up.
We now accept cash donations for the Philippine Red Cross at any 7-11 store or Cebuana Lhuillier Pawnshop nationwide.
  

Bank Deposit

Bank accounts for Donations
Banco De Oro

Peso: 00-453-0018647

Dollar: 10-453-0039482

Metrobank
Peso: 151-3-041631228
Dollar: 151-2-15100218-2

Philippine National Bank
Peso: 3752 8350 0034
Dollar: 3752 8350 0042

Unionbank of the Philippines
Peso: 1015 4000 0201
Dollar: 1315 4000 0090

All Check/Cash for the account of Philippine Red Cross (Swift Codes)
Banco De Oro
BNORPHMM

Bank of the Philippine Islands
BOPIPHMM

Metrobank
MBTCPHMM

Philippine National Bank
-PNBMPHMM

Unionbank of the Philippines
-UBPHPHMM




For your donations to be properly acknowledged, please fax the bank transaction slip at nos. +63.2.527.0575 or +63.2.404.0979 with your name, address and contact number.



In-Kind Donation



Local
Please send in-kind local donations to Philippine Red Cross - National Headquarters in Manila. We could also arrange for donation pick-up



International

1. Send a letter of intent to donate to the PRC.
2. A letter of acceptance from PRC shall be sent back to the donor.
3. Immediately after shipping the goods, please send the (a) original Deed of Donation, (b) copy of packing list and (c) original Airway Bill for air shipments or Bill of Lading for sea shipments to Philippine Red Cross - National Headquarters c/o Secretary General Gwendolyn Pang, Bonifacio Drive, Port Area, Manila 1018, Philippines.

The PRC does not accept rotten, damaged, expired or decayed goods. Though we appreciate your generosity, PRC also discourages donations of old clothes as we have more than enough to go around.




SMS and G-Cash


SMS
Text REDAMOUNT to 2899 (Globe) or 4143 (Smart)

G-Cash
Text DONATEAMOUNT4-digit M-PINREDCROSS to 2882

You can donate the following denominations:
Globe: 5, 25, 100, 300, 500 or 1000
Smart: 10, 25, 50, 100, 300, 500 or 1000


Through your generosity, we can stand prepared for disasters. We appreciate your continuous and unwavering support. Thank you.
org.ph
Call Hotline 143
or (+632) 527.0000

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
Bonifacio Drive, Port Area

Manila 1018, Philippines




Some useful flood safety tips as well:

Also, please take note of the flood after-effects, especially be wary of the ever famous LEPTOSPIROSIS. I, myself, was a victim of this disease too. Please be very alert of the signs and symptoms. Took me almost a week in the hospital. Health is not to be ignored. So remind everyone to take that prophylaxis to avoid any further complications. 


 But amidst all these pressures, Filipinos will always be Filipinos, seeing a brighter side in every darkness. I guess that's our edge, since we're more optimistic than others, we try to see the brighter side in everything. And yes, floods can't break the soul of a True Filipino, a fighter.


So let's do our part and help in every way we can. Through relief goods, donations and prayers, let's offer our best of intentions. Lahat tayo magtulongan para sa ating bayan.

xx